I promise you, you will not miss traditional, cheese filled pesto after trying this raw, vegan version.
Tyler has always loved pesto on everything but I never really discovered my love for it until I tried the Kosmic Karma pizza from Mellow Mushroom (gluten-free version, of course!).
Oh. My. Goodness.
They smother the pizza with a giant swirl of delicious, totally unhealthy, pesto. My tastebuds have never been the same. Needless to say, I was determined to make a version that didn’t leave me in a food coma.
The average store bought pesto ingredient list usually looks something like this:
[Basil, Soybean Oil, Garlic, Romano Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Olive Oil, Spice, Salt, Lactic Acid, Torula Yeast, Citric Acid, Natural Flavors (Soy).]
Not exactly gut-friendly.
While our version is completely raw and vegan, keep in mind that it is fairly heavy, given the high fat content, so as good as it is, try not to eat the entire jar at a time. We used cashews but this would be just as delicious with pine nuts, or any other mild tasting raw nut.
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1.5 cups of fresh basil
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 5 cloves of fresh garlic
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of pink himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or high speed blender (I would imagine that Vitamix and Blendtec are the only blenders that could handle this amount of nuts).
- Use for pastas, pizzas, as dressing, etc. We love this on our zoodles.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer.