We love quinoa for so many reasons. Technically a seed, this gluten-free wonder is a complete protein and comes closer than any other plant to supplying of the all essential nutrients that our bodies need.
Because we choose to get our amino acids from plants instead of animal products, quinoa is one of our favorite choices for that. We eat it cold with some coconut milk as a breakfast cereal substitute, warm with a little bit of liquid aminos thrown in as a side dish with dinner, thrown on salads, or like you see here, in baked goods.
With the holidays coming up, it’s nice to have a few easy recipes handy to throw together when you need snacks or big breakfasts for guests staying at your home. These bars are so simple to make and super filling. We used strawberries to keep with the festive holiday red, but they would also be great with blueberries, raspberries, or diced apple!
- 1.5 cups of cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1 cup of gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons of stevia
- 1/4 cup of ground flax
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 ‘flax egg’ or egg
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of chopped strawberries
- Blend flour, coconut sugar, stevia, flax, and cinnamon in large bowl.
- Stir in the cooled quinoa.
- In a small, separate bowl, whisk coconut milk, egg, and vanilla until smooth and add into the quinoa mix.
- Fold in strawberries and blend well.
- Bake in a lightly greased dish for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Let cool completely before slicing into squares.
- Store in refrigerator.